Saturday, April 18, 2009

Counsel from Sister Julie Beck, General RS president

Last night I went with some friends to a fireside. Sister Julie Beck, the General Relief Society president for the church, came and spoke to us. It was blizzarding all day, so we weren't sure if we would make it, but we did. I was so uplifted and strengthened by her counsel. She took questions from the women in the room, and answered them, through the scriptures and with messages from general conference talks. She said so many inspired things, too many for me to write about, but here is one I want to share: She said that recognizing, listening and acting on revelation is a skill that is learned. We must be still to hear a still small voice. The more we act on those promptings, the more we will hear them. Just the other day, Tanner came home from school and we were talking about something that happened, and he told me that he "heard a voice that told me it wouldn't be a good idea, but I didn't listen." We talked about how sometimes we don't listen to the Holy Ghost, and it usually turns out that we wished we had. In his case, this was so. I told him that the more he listened to the Holy Ghost, the more he would hear the Holy Ghost. Yesterday night, as he came home from a friend's house, he told me that he really wanted to play a videogame that we had previously decided was innapropriate for his age, and he said "I decided not to disobey you." We talked about his decision and that he had listened to the Holy Ghost.

How thankful I am that we are guided by inspired leaders who encourage us, counsel us and give us strength to be the women that we need to be for ourselves and for our families!

6 comments:

Kelli said...

Wow, that sounds like an awesome fireside! I love what she said -- I think I need to make a sign for my wall that says that!

Kim said...

And how great that your relationship with Tanner is such that he'll come to you with his questions and be so honest about things. You're a great mom! I wish I could've been at that fireside.

The Lee Family said...

That was such an amazing fireside. Her council on personal revelation really struck me as well. You're such a good mom, and Tanner's a great kid.

Jamie said...

It really was great and I feel very lucky that she came out here! I LOVE her and I got a lot out of her messages.

Maureen said...

Everyone who's talked to me about being there makes it sound so terrific. I'm sorry I couldn't be there. Thank you for blogging about it so the rest of us could gain from it as well.

Wilkes family said...

oh how awesome! hey sis you need to add our email address in your wii addresss book, then we can hook up and send eachother messages. i'll call u!