Thursday, October 2, 2008

It's All About Perspective


More than once I have found Abby and Tanner engrossed in Infomercials...you know what I'm talking about; those 30 minute advertisements that come on on Saturday afternoons on the home shopping network. I have been told on several occassions by our kids that I should look into buying special brooms, cooking supplies, eye cream for my wrinkles, etc.

Well, recently, after doing another big round of dishes, Abby said that I should start buying "Dixie" paper plates so that I can spend "less time doing the dishes, and more time with my family." I laughed, until I saw the commercial, and that is the exact quote that the woman on the commercial says. Part of me got mad at the advertising, and the other part thought it was pretty smart to target us mothers!

Bottom line--maybe we all are spending a bit too much time on the mundane tasks of life--and not enough time making memories with our families. It's interesting to see it from our children's perspectives.

Well, guess who is using paper plates now?!

4 comments:

Tara said...

That's hilarious! We've been known to hear a quote or two from the tv around here, too! "Seatbelts, so we can be safe!" (Dora)...I can't tell you the many household products I've never seen comercials for but could tell you the slogan from my kids!

Rach said...

Why is it that my kids can quote things from show and commercials, but they can't seem to remember what I asked them to do five minutes ago???? Maybe I should start coming up with "slogans" for putting dishes in the sink or shoes on the shelf.

Maureen said...

Maybe next time Abby and Tanner could help you do the dishes while you rock out to some Bon Jovi??

I dislike that commercial too, and always wonder about our landfills. Don't we need to leave some clean, beautiful earth for our children along with the memories??

A mother heart said...

Our dishwasher just broke and so we are hand washing for awhile. Just yesterday Jamie say this commercial and told me the same thing! I may just start doing it for a while.