Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Learning to Let Go!

Watching the kids grow up is a great, yet sometimes hard thing for me. I am learning to let go a little bit. First of all, we let Tanner ride his bike home from cub scouts. His leader lives 2 streets away from us, so we finally let him ride his bike home one day, with a few minor instructions: wear his helmet, stay on the sidewalks, look both ways before crossing the street, don't talk to strangers, don't dawdle, call me when he gets to scouts, and call me before he leaves to come home. (Can't you just hear me now!!)

The smile on Tanner's face when he got home was priceless; it was as if we had given him the world!! That was the minute that I realized that (within reason) these small steps toward independence are good for our kids. We just have to listen to the promptings of the Spirit and trust that our children will be protected as they learn and grow.

Recently Tanner had another growing opportunity. He had been invited to a friend's house for a party. These are great people, but they have teen-agers, and have a few different rules for their kids on movies, video games, etc. We talked with Tanner about what he would do if there was an innapropriate game or movie turned on, and how to handle that situation. He knows that every family has different rules, and we try to really stress that we don't judge others for their family rules. I felt like Tanner would do the things that he knew were right for him, if presented with an uncomfortable situation. Well, when I went to get him, his friend's mother told me that he was the most well-mannered little boy, and that he knew what was right and wrong. I asked Tanner about it, and he said that the kids started playing a video game that he knew was not appropriate, so he asked one of the boys if they wanted to take his place, and he left the room and went to play somewhere else. Part of me wondered if we were expecting to much of a 9 year-old boy, but the part of me was so proud of his courage to do what he knows is right. As Ryan and I talked about it, we agreed that if our kids learn now, that they can stand up for themselves say "no" to situations that are not that big of a deal, maybe in the future when they are presented with more major decisions, it will be easier for them to be strong and to know what to do.

I know that times are getting harder and our kids are being presented with tougher situations that we have to talk with them about; good communication is the key. Though sometimes we wonder if anything we do or say sinks in, it is moments like these make me think that all we do as parents is really worth it! (Tanner thinks so too, after Ryan gave him a dollar and told him that he was proud of his great decision!!)

4 comments:

Tara said...

Way to go Tanner!! I think your whole family is such a great example to us ALL!!
We love you guys!!

Kelli said...

Wow, Tanner is growing up so fast & is such a good example! You guys are sure doing something right!

Maureen said...

I love that I read this on your blog today as I have been feeling those same "snipping of the apron strings" pangs myself. Then I reminded myself that this is why we need to make sure we stay true and make it to the Celestial Kingdom so we can be eternal families. (And I can keep my eternal eye on my boys forever!)

Rach said...

What an awesome kid from an awesome family! I love it when all the good things we have been trying to teach our kids sink in and they make a good choice. You guys are great parents.