Well-due to my post below, I have to say that I am inclined to look at our recent disaster the glass half full. Having the basement flood has caused me to think in terms of what is good about the whole thing! Though there is bad--there is definately some good, and that is what I will focus on. We just finished our basement several months ago, and are now looking at another month of having a construction crew in our house. The copper piping from the spicket outside runs into our house alongside the basement wall. It broke and flooded our basement for about 4 hours. The break is SO small, but the damage was big. The good news: The water mitigation company responded quickly so that we were not filled with a watery, moldy mess for too long. The construction crews all are on time and seem to be very good at what they do. We do have our basement insured(another good thing) and the insurance will pay for all repairs after we have met our deductable. It could have been much worse--as someone had to go downstairs to turn off the lights before bed--otherwise we may have not found the mess until morning--then they would have to really re-do the whole basement! As is stands, we had to tear out carpet, some baseboards and one wall. Another good thing--we will never have this problem again because they have replaced the piping to flexible piping with insulation around it, so as to help it contract and expand with the heat and cold! I am grateful that we didn't get electrocuted in the process of undoing the TV wiring which sat in water. And it still even works! (But I swear we had a 60 inch big screen on the wall...)
Having said all of this, I am grateful that it was not worse. We are blessed far more than we deserve. To borrow a phrase from a friend's blog, I am reminded that "happiness is not found in things, it is found in us."
Having said all of this, I am grateful that it was not worse. We are blessed far more than we deserve. To borrow a phrase from a friend's blog, I am reminded that "happiness is not found in things, it is found in us."
2 comments:
Yikes! I'm glad you were able to see the good in your basement situation. And I'm SO glad no one got hurt! I remember when our pipes froze and burst when Karlee and I were at home alone together and Mel Porter had to come over to help us shut things off. I got shocked by the sewing machine because I tried to pick up the pedal that was standing in the water! Flooding is scary. I'm glad everything will be all right.
We have had a lot of water issues in the house we are in. It is no fun! I think you are dealing with it better than I did!
Post a Comment