PINEWOOD DERBY
Last night was Pack 522's Pinewood Derby. Last year Tanner came in 3rd place, and this year he did it again! He and Ryan had a good time making the car together, and although he was a little sad that he didn't win, he still had a good time. They sanded down the nails to creat less friction, places the weights just so, and followed every rule in the book. Tanner was a good sport, but he is REALLY competitive, like Ryan; so when we got home last night, he let us know how he felt: "Why do I always have to come in 3rd...someday I really want to take 1st!" (Can't blame him-don't we all want to be first in something?) Here is his car, the "Batmobile," along with the "Silver Flame," from last year. It would be interesting to see which of his two cars in the fastest! Sister Roberts, one of Tanner's new scout leaders came up to me and thanked me for making sure that Tanner had his uniform on appropriately. She said that they are really pushing the boys to tuck in their shirts and wear their neckerchiefs to every den meeting and to pack meetings. Tanner isn't always dressed appropriately--I have to admit-most of the time it is a struggle to have him wear the full uniform for weekly meetings, but last night we told him that he had to look nice for the Pinewood Derby--because he was getting his Bear award also. (phew!) Sister Roberts said that she is really pushing the uniform for the boys--and I am glad to know what is expected in the future. I think it teaches them how great it is to be a scout--and that you stand for something! 

9 comments:
I was wondering whose was the Batman car in Rachael's pix. Looks great. I think the derbys are so fun and yes, very competitive among the dads as well. Glad you all had a good time.
I would have bet my life that the Batmobile was the Bishops! I love it!
Way to go!
Tanner's car looks just like the real life Batmobile! I hope he saves it!
We're going to have to talk to Ryan about all these "secrets" he has. I guess I need to make sure J wears his full uniform from now on. I noticed he was missing his neckerchief on Thursday (oops). Congrats on taking 3rd!!
sweet car tanner!
Rachael-I too have been a slacker on pushing the uniform; I really didn't know what to expect, because when Tanner first got into scouts, the boys just wore their shirts (with no neckercheif) to weekly den meetings. But they want them to have the whole uniform on to everything. I am glad that she is pushing that--so I will have to be on the ball from now on too!
Dave still has a favorite pinewood derby car stored away! I hope Tanner keeps his! Good job, Tan-Man! (Hey, that's sorta like Batman...)
I think that is the coooolest derby car I have ever seen!!!! Nice Tan Man!! Kris, the frined that told me about that site is out of town till May 20th, but I will try to get the info from her, via e-mail. I think the site is blurb.com, but it didn't look right when I checked it. Also, thecutestblogontheblock.com, is also doing something like that. I noticed it on their site the other day.
P.S. We so haope that you guys will continue to make plans for travel this way, this summer! We are are missing you all tons!! So...how about dinner at our house tomorrow night? We won't even ask you to bring anything besides, well, the main dish of course, and maybe a couple of sides. Well, I'll tell you what, to make it easier, why don't you plan on us providing the drinks!! Thanks!:D
sure thing-we'll do the dessert and appetizers too. Do you have forks?
Post a Comment