HONORING OUR PILGRIM HERITAGEAbby has a history project at school where she can choose something from the 1600's to talk about. She has chosen to make a game that the pilgrim children played, and tell a little bit about our pilgrim heritage.
My mom has done a lot of research; locating family records, birth certificates, family bibles, etc., and has proven our direct lineage from several Mayflower families. She was made a member of the Mayflower Society several years ago.
If you have ever read Longfellow's poem, "The Courtship of Myles Standish," then you know about Pricilla Mullins and John Alden. Captain (of the Mayflower) Standish, and John Alden (a barrel-maker who joined the Mayflower at age 21) were both in love with Pricilla Mullins, who was also a passenger on the Mayflower. She chose John to marry, and they are my great Grandparents from 13 generations back. There are many books about their romance, and our kids have found it fun to think that we have come from "famous" ancestry.
Remembering that they came to America for religious freedom makes me even more grateful that we live in America. It is truly a blessed nation and will continue to be as we hold to the truths that it was founded upon.
11 comments:
How cool is that?!!
What a great project for Abby! I'd like to play that game.
I know what you mean about gratitude for what the pilgrims did for us. I visited Plymouth Village many years ago and they had it hard when they first came here. Their determination to make it work and to forge a life here took a lot. I am thankful that they didn't give up and we have the fruits of the labor today.
It is fun to be related to so called famous people--even the grown ups like it too. But the Mayflower--totally awesome
I love this time of year. It helps me to remember to be thankful--not only for our pilgrim ancestry, but for the blessings we have today, too! What is the game Abby decided to do for her class?
Neat that Abby is excited about the Mayflower. The membership in the Mayflower Society is in my mother's name (Nellie Borden),
Abby's great grandmother. It was a birthday gift to her one year. We can all claim that line of distinction to the Pilgrims, now!Lots of people can trace this lineage-fortunately a well kept diary of our grandfather made it possible for our family. Cool huh!
Wow...ambitious! We hope you guys have a great Thanksgiving! Wow, baby Kiera is sooo cute. Her hair looks lots darker then the other kids did. At least in her pictures. Kailey is a lot darker then our other kids. (hair and eyes)Love you all, cute little family!
By the way...did you know that there is a site that can turn your blog into a book (hard cover) for you. My firend did it for this last year and i looked amazing. I believe she said the site is blurb.com
Wow-i am going to find that site; I would love to do that--maybe on a yearly basis have it bound. What a great family journal that would make! Thanks..
by the way, are you coming for Thanksgiving?
Wow, I like the kid quote about the book. That's deep...so what have you guys been teaching your children lately? Alos, I am interested to read her book and find out the meaning behind her title...he he he:)
Yes--I am amazed at their imaginations! I updated the Funny Kid Quotes today--as I thought these deserved some attention!
That's awesome. You know why? That now means were related and we live in the same town and still don't see each other. Those are my grandparent's as well. Ah ha ha. All this time we are long lost cousins.
Post a Comment